The Edmonton Oilers vs Washington Capitals fixture in the 2022-23 NHL will take place on Monday, December 5 2022, starting at 8:30 p.m. ET. The kickoff time is 12:30 a.m. by GMT the next day. The venue is Rogers Place, Edmonton.
Latest odds on betting sites
The Edmonton Oilers are priced with the odds of 2.15 (+115 American; 23/20 Fractional) to win the next match full-time, which equals an approximate probability of 47%. The Washington Capitals have an odds of 2.95 (+195; 39/20) to take two points before overtime. The chances of this outcome are approximately equal to 33%. Finally, the draw comes with the odds of 4.60 (+360; 18/5), which equals an approximate probability of 20%.
The latest odds for Edmonton Oilers vs Washington Capitals (December 5 2022):
- Over 6.5 goals — 2.05 (+105; 21/10)
- Under 6.5 goals — 1.90 (-111; 9/10)
- Asian handicap (-1.5) on Oilers — 2.60 (+160; 8/5)
- Asian handicap (+1.5) on Capitals — 1.55 (-182; 11/20)
Match preview and statistics
The Edmonton Oilers have four injured attackers, including Evander Kane, the main left winger in his team. He received 13 points in 14 matches of the 2022-23 season and finished them with a +4 impact index.
Warren Foegele, who replaced Kane in the recent matches, is injured and unlikely to perform in this game. Also, one out of two right wings, Kailer Yamamoto, will not play in this fixture too. He is not a starting-roster play, but the Oilers’ rotation will be much weaker this time.
The Edmonton Oilers have won four of the last five matches scoring at least three goals in each game. Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl are the first and the second-best attackers in the 2022-23 season, with 47 and 42 points, respectively. In the last game, both attackers received four points each and were the first and the second stars.
The Edmonton Oilers have scored 20 goals in the last five matches. As a result, they come with the odds of 2.05 (+105; 21/20) in their next game.
The Washington Capitals will play the next game without Nicklas Backstrom, who is the main centre forward in his team. Evgeny Kuznetsov and Dylan Strome did not play as well as Backstrom this season and will be unlikely to replace him fully.
The Capitals are sixth in the Metropolitan Division and 12th in the Easter Conference. They have won only 10 out of 26 matches in the 2022-23 NHL and have yet to see something specific which will help them win more. They have one of the weakest attacks in the league, with approximately 2.7 goals per match, which is the seventh-best result.
Alexander Ovechkin can not show as confident play as previously, and the team has no young talents. They are the second-oldest team in the league. The Capitals have a personnel crisis now and are unlikely to beat any potent teams this season.
A total of under 6.5 goals has played out in six last seven matches with the Washington Capitals participating. The exact total comes with the odds of 1.90 (-111; 9/10) in this game.
Edmonton Oilers vs Washington Capitals H2H
Despite a weak performance in the 2022-23 NHL, the Capitals beat the Edmonton Oilers (5-4) in the most recent H2H match. Evgeny Kuznetsov was the first star of that match, with two goals and two assists, which was a significant part of the Capitals’ win. Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl received two points each, but those were not enough for victory.
Lineups and key players
Edmonton Oilers projected starting lineup:
- Jack Campbell
- Darnell Nurse
- Cody Ceci
- Dylan Holloway
- Leon Draisaitl
- Connor McDavid
Connor McDavid is the best attacker in the 2022-23 season with 47 points and the second-best scorer with 21 goals. He was the first star of the last match against the Montreal Canadiens, with two goals and two assists.
Washington Capitals projected starting lineup:
- Darcy Kuemper
- Alexander Alexeyev
- Nick Jensen
- Anthony Mantha
- Evgeny Kuznetsov
- Alexander Ovechkin
Alexander Ovechkin is the best scorer for his team, with 13 goals and 12 assists in the 2022-23 NHL.
Prediction and betting tips
The Edmonton Oilers look much more potent than their next rival, despite losing in the most recent H2H match. They have an unstoppable attack built around Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, the first and the second-best attackers in the 2022-23 NHL. In addition, the Oilers are the eighth-best scoring team in the 2022-23 season, with 3.48 goals per match on average.
The Capitals’ current roster does not show the same results and does not have the same potential. They have five injured rotation players and the main centre forward with a hip injury. The Capitals have lost at least three goals in the last ten matches. I believe the Asian handicap (-1.5) on the Oilers will play out this time.
Betting prediction: Asian handicap (-1.5) on the Oilers
Odds: 2.60 (+160 American; 8/5 Fractions)