New Jersey Devils vs Florida Panthers prediction and betting tips (December 17)
The Florida Panthers have won four of the last five H2H matches against the New Jersey Devils. Will they beat the leaders of the Metropolitan Division this time?
Jack Hughes is the best scorer for the New Jersey Devils
Jack Hughes is the best scorer for the New Jersey Devils
by Alex Weaver Alex Weaver

The New Jersey Devils vs Florida Panthers fixture in the 2022-23 NHL will take place on Saturday, December 17 2022, starting at 7:30 p.m. ET. The kickoff time is 11:30 p.m. by GMT this day. The venue is Prudential Center, New Jersey.

Latest odds on betting sites

The New Jersy Devils are priced with the odds of 2.30 (+130 American; 13/30 Fractional) to win the next match full-time, which equals an approximate probability of 43%. The Florida Panthers have an odds of 2.70 (+170; 17/10) to take two points before overtime. The chances of this outcome are approximately equal to 36%. Finally, the draw comes with the odds of 4.60 (+360; 18/5), which equals an approximate probability of 21%.

The latest odds for New Jersey Devils vs Florida Panthers (December 17 2022):

  • Over 6.5 goals — 2.10 (+110; 11/10)
  • Under 6.5 goals — 1.85 (-117; 17/20)
  • Asian handicap (-1.5) on Devils — 2.90 (+190; 19/10)
  • Asian handicap (+1.5) on Panthers — 1.45 (-222; 9/20)

Match preview and statistics

The New Jersey Devils will start the next match without two strong wingers. Nathan Bastian and Ondrej Palat will skip the game against the Panthers due to knee and groin injuries, respectively. Nathan Bastian was a stable rotation player. He has received eight points in 21 games with a +4 impact index. Ondrej Palat was injured at the start of the season. He played only six games and scored three goals in them.

The New Jersey Devils are first in the Metropolitan Division with 21 victories in 30 matches. This result was mostly provided by Vitek Vanecek, who is the sixth-best goaltender according to conceded goals per game ratio. The Devils are the third least conceding team in the 2022-23 season with 2.43 goals against per game ratio.

In the most recent game, the Devils were beaten by the Philadelphia Flyers (1-2). They showed an incredible attack with 49 shots on target, but Carter Hart saved 48 of them to finish the match as the first star. Jack Hughes scored a single goal for the Devils in that match.

We have seen a total of under 6.5 goals in six of the last seven matches with the New Jersey Devils participating. The same total comes with the odds of 1.85 (-117; 17/20) this time.

The Florida Panthers were the best team in the 2021-22 regular season with approximately four goals per match on average but their performance this season is not as potent. They are the 10th most-scoring team in the 2022-23 NHL with 3.32 goals per game on average. The Panthers have won only 14 out of 31 games, which makes them fourth in the Atlantic Division.

Chris Tierney and Anthony Duclair will not play in this fixture. Tierney received three points in five matches for the Panthers, but he skip the game due to concussion protocol. Anthony Duclair skips the first half of the season due to Achilles' injury. He performed strongly in the 2021-22 season with 31 goals and 27 assists in 74 games.

The Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Florida Panthers (4-2) in the most recent game. The teams were approximately equal, but the Penguins’ attack was a bit stronger this time. They finished successfully four out of 39 shots on target. Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin were the first and the second stars of the match with one goal and one assist, each.

The Florida Panthers have scored 24 goals in the last five matches against the Devils. They are priced with the odds of 2.45 (+145; 29/20) to score at least four goals this time.

New Jersey Devils vs Florida Panthers H2H

The Florida Panthers have won four of the last five matches. In the most recent fixture, both teams bagged six goals each, but the Florida Panthers were stronger in overtime.

Lineups and key players

New Jersey Devils projected starting lineup:

  • Vitek Vanecek
  • Dougie Hamilton
  • Jonas Siegenthaler
  • Jesper Bratt
  • Tomas Tatar
  • Jack Hughes

Jack Hughes is the best scorer for the New Jersey Devils. He has scored 16 goals and has made 19 assists in the 2022-23 season. He was the third star of the last game with one goal.

Florida Panthers projected starting lineup:

  • Spencer Knight
  • Marc Staal
  • Brandon Montour
  • Aleksander Barkov
  • Matthew Tkachuk
  • Sam Bennett

Matthew Tkachuk is the eighth-best forward in the 2022-23 NHL. He has scored 14 goals and has made 25 assists this season.

Prediction and betting tips

The New Jersey Devils have an incredibly confident attack in the 2022-23 season. They are the sixth-most-scoring team with 3.5 goals per game on average. That is strange, because, there are no the Devils’ players among the top 10 goalscorers of the current season. Jack Hughes, who is the best scorer for his team is the 14th-best scorer in the 2022-23 NHL.

Also, the Devils are the third-least conceding team. However, they have lost the last four matches in a row despite these perfect stats. They were defeated by the Philadelphia Flyers in the most recent game, which is in the terrible form now. The Florida Panthers have lost three of the last four matches and won over only the Columbus Blue Jackets (4-0).

Both teams are not showing their best play, which is the reason why I believe to see a total of under 6.5 goals. The same outcome has played out in six of the last seven matches with the New Jersey Devils participating and in six of the last eight games with the Panthers’ participation.

Betting prediction: Under 6.5 goals

Odds: 1.90 (-111 American; 9/10 Fractions)

Ice HockeyNHL. Round 31
New Jersey Devils — Jack Hughes
Under 6.5 goals
Post your tip!
Win cash in the Takebet free tipster competition every month. Learn more
Join community: sign up to comment or log in!

No one has commented yet.
Share your thoughts!