Pittsburgh Penguins vs Vegas Golden Knights prediction and betting tips (January 6)
The Pittsburgh Penguins have a streak of four victories in H2H matches against the Vegas Golden Knights, but they lost their last five fixtures. Which of the streaks will the Penguins extend?
Chandler Stephenson is the best scorer for the Golden Knights this season
Chandler Stephenson is the best scorer for the Golden Knights this season

The Pittsburgh Penguins vs Vegas Golden Knights fixture in the 2022-23 NHL will take place on Saturday, January 6, 2023, starting at 12:00 a.m. ET. The kickoff time is 3:00 a.m. by GMT this day. The venue is T-Mobile, Carolina.

Latest odds on betting sites

The Vegas Golden Knights are priced with the odds of 2.30 (+130 American; 13/10 Fractional) to win the next match full-time, which equals an approximate probability of 43%. The Pittsburgh Penguins have an odds of 2.70 (+170; 17/10) to take two points before overtime. The chances of this outcome are approximately equal to 35%. Finally, the draw comes with the odds of 4.50 (+350; 7/2), which equals an approximate probability of 22%.

The latest odds for Pittsburgh Penguins vs Vegas Golden Knights (January 6, 2023):

  • Over 6.5 goals — 2.10 (+110; 11/10)
  • Under 6.5 goals — 1.85 (-117; 17/20)
  • Asian handicap (-1.5) on Golden Knights — 3.00 (+200; 2/1)
  • Asian handicap (+1.5) on Penguins — 1.40 (-250; 2/5)

Match preview and statistics

The Pittsburgh Penguins will start the match against the Golden Knights without Ryan Poehling, who showed confident play as a rotating center-forward with eight points and a +3 impact index in 31 games. Also, Tristan Jerry will not be able to perform in this fixture due to injury. He has a 91.8% saving percentage and 2.75 conceded goals per game on average.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have the fifth-greatest saving percentage in the 2022-23 NHL, which is equal to 91.6%, but they have an average result in scoring with 3.27 goals per game on average. Tristan Jerry is the 11th-best goaltender in the league according to saving percentage.

The Pittsburgh Penguins are the sixth in the Metropolitan Division with 19 victories in 37 matches. However, they have only four points fewer than the Rangers, who are the third in the same division and played two games more than the Penguins.

A total of under 6.5 goals has played out in 11 of the last 12 matches with the Pittsburgh Penguins participating. The same total comes with the odds of 1.85 (-117; 17/20) in this fixture.

The Vegas Golden Knights have won four of the last six matches, but they did not play against strong rivals in these fixtures apart from the most recent game against the Colorado Avalanche (3-2). They were defeated in the games against the Anaheim Ducks and the Los Angeles Kings, who have not shown potent play in the 2022-23 season.

Now, the Vegas Golden Knights are not in their best condition. They have six injured players, with one main-roster skater. Shea Theodore, who was one of the best defensemen for the Golden Knights will not play in this match due to a leg injury. He has scored four goals and has made 18 assists in 29 played matches this season.

The Vegas Golden Knights are the third-best of the 2022-23 regular season with 54 points being overtaken only by the Carolina Hurricanes and the Boston Bruins, which have 56 and 62 points, respectively. This result is provided by an incredible start of the season with a streak of nine victories, whereas the current results of the Golden Knights are average.

We have seen a total of under 2.5 goals in the second period in five of the last six matches with the Pittsburgh Penguins’ participation. The exact outcome comes with the odds of 1.60 (-167; 3/5) this time.

Pittsburgh Penguins vs Vegas Golden Knights H2H

The Pittsburgh Penguins have won the last four H2H matches against the Vegas Golden Knights. Their single head-to-head game in the 2022-23 season was finished with a 4-3 score.

Lineups and key players

Vegas Golden Knights projected starting lineup:

  • Logan Thompson
  • Nicolas Hague
  • Brayden McNabb
  • William Carrier
  • Chandler Stephenson
  • Jack Eichel

Chandler Stephenson is the best scorer for the Golden Knights this season. He has scored 10 goals, made 29 assists, and finished 40 matches with a +11 impact index.

Pittsburgh Penguins projected starting lineup:

  • Casey DeSmith
  • Brian Dumoulin
  • Mark Friedman
  • Evgeni Malkin
  • Sidney Crosby
  • Drake Caggiula

Evgeni Malkin is the 19th-best scorer in the 2022-23 NHL. He has scored 19 goals and has made 24 assists.

Prediction and betting tips

The Vegas Golden Knights were unstoppable in the first two months of the 2022-23 season, they looked like equal rivals for the Bruins and the Hurricanes. However, their last results are average. Their win rate is greater than 50%, but they were able to lose easy matches like games against the Anaheim Ducks or the Vancouver Canucks.

The Penguins had an incredible period in December with a streak of eight victories, but they have lost six of the last seven matches. However, it is important to know, that most of the lost games were against much stronger rivals. They were defeated by the Bruins, the Devils, and the Hurricanes, who are on another level this season.

I believe that the Penguins will not lose in this game. Also, a total of under 6.5 goals looks safe, because both teams have no forwards in top-15 goalscorers of the season and their goals-per-game ratios are not great too.

Betting prediction: Double chance – X2

Odds: 1.50 (-200 American; 1/2 Fractions)

Betting prediction: Under 6.5 goals

Odds: 1.85 (-117 American; 17/20 Fractions)

Ice HockeyNHL. Round 38
Vegas Golden Knights — Pittsburgh Penguins
Under 6.5 goals
Post your tip!
Win cash in the Takebet free tipster competition every month. Learn more
Join community: sign up to comment or log in!

No one has commented yet.
Share your thoughts!